Contador to skip Spanish Vuelta
Updated: July 26, 2011, 05:23
Send to a friend
MADRID (AP) Spanish rider Alberto Contador said late Monday that he won't compete in this year's Spanish Vuelta after losing his Tour de France crown to Cadel Evans last week.
"Maybe next year I'll be in the Vuelta,'' Contador told Spanish media. "This year it does not enter into my plans. I need to rest.''
The 28-year-old rider won the Giro d'Italia earlier this summer and appeared to pay the price for it as he finished the Tour almost four minutes behind Evans.
"You have to measure your strength when deciding whether to compete in a race or not because your ability to recover has its limits,'' the three-time Tour winner said.
Contador hasn't competed in the Vuelta since 2008, when he won it.
Next Monday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport will begin a three-day hearing into Contador's positive test for the banned substance clenbuterol from a year ago. He faces a two-year ban if the CAS overturns the Spanish federation's decision to clear him of doping.
The Spanish Vuelta begins Aug. 20.