Contador may still appeal doping ban, won't retire
Updated: February 07, 2012, 15:04
Send to a friend
MADRID (AP) Alberto Contador is considering appealing his two-year doping ban handed down to him by sport's highest court, maintaining his innocence a day after being stripped of his 2010 Tour de France title.
Contador said Tuesday he has no plans to retire from cycling despite hinting previously that he might quit if banned for testing positive for clenbuterol on his way to winning a third Tour title, which was taken away from him with Monday's ruling.
Contador said he completely disagreed with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which rejected his claim that his positive doping test for the muscle-building steroid was caused by eating contaminated meat.
"Something doesn't work with the system,'' Contador said at a crowded news conference in his native Pinto, on the outskirts of Madrid. "We will fight as far as we need to demonstrate my innocence.''
Contador said his lawyers are examining whether to appeal to Switzerland's supreme court, which is the only body he can still turn to in hopes of being exonerated.
"I've tried everything to understand this ruling, but I cannot. I cannot understand this ban they have handed me,'' Contador said. "If there is anything else I can do to prove my innocence I'd like to know.''
Contador said the ordeal has left him disillusioned with the sport and he would never recommend professional cycling to anyone.
"The only satisfaction I feel is that whatever decision was reached, the ruling never says I doped,'' Contador said during a 50-minute news conference that was often interrupted by rounds of applause and yells of "Contador'' from supportive locals. "There was never an intention on my part.''
Contador would not comment on his financial situation, with the International Cycling Union looking to fine him $3.25 million. His Saxo Bank-SunGard team boss Bjarne Riis said Tuesday that Contador would not be paid if he is not racing.
Contador did not comment when asked if there was a vendetta against him, led by the UCI or the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Contador is banned from riding until Aug. 6 and will miss this year's Tour, Giro d'Italia and Olympics in London. He did not say whether he will line up for the Spanish Vuelta, which starts on Aug. 18.
"I'm sure of one thing: I want to come back to ride the best races,'' Contador said.
Riis said the team's trust in Contador was "100 percent intact'' after CAS' ruling said his positive test likely came from a "contaminated food supplement.''
Contador's future with the Danish team remains vague.
"August is still a long time (away). If he wishes to continue with the team, our intention is the same,'' Riis said. "I would have no problem working with Alberto again. I have not seen a bike rider like him in many, many years, probably not since (Eddy) Merckx.''